Robin's Website

Binham Priory

Above: Composite Photo of Binham Priory (Cylindrical Projection)

Binham Priory (or St Mary's Priory) is a ruined Benedictine priory sited in the village of Binham in the eastern English county of Norfolk. It is amongst Norfolk’s most complete monastic ruins. The priory was founded in 1091 by Peter de Valognes, a nephew of William the Conqueror, and his wife Albreda. After the Norman Conquest, Peter was assigned lands in west and north Norfolk, which included the entire village of Binham. The new priory was endowed with the entire manor of Binham, making the prior the lord of the manor. This also included the tithes of thirteen other churches in Norfolk. The activity at Binham Priory increased throughout the following centuries before falling back down until it was eventually suppressed in 1539 during the Dissolution of the Monasteries (1536-1541) by Henry VIII. Still standing is the nave of the priory church, with its splendid 13th century west front and Norman arches. Today, this serves as the local parish church, the Church of St. Mary and the Holy Cross. Extensive ruins may be found surrounding today's church and these illustrate the original size of the monastery. The remains are in the care of English Heritage. The thumbnail gallery below shows some photos taken from a visit to here in 2015.

References and Further Reading

1. The English Heritage Website includes more about Binham Priory's history, practical information for the visitor (including downloadable plans of the priory) and may be found Here (External Link).
2. The Parish and Community Webpage for The Priory Church of St Mary and the Holy Cross contains some in-depth resources and may be found Here (External Link).